Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Evolving from Neolithic Man?

I cannot say whether this has happened to anyone else but I find that I am a frequent lighting rod for debate about the socio-political landscape that we find ourselves a part of.  I find that once one stumbles across some self evident scrap of human knowledge it becomes impossible for them to retract the former drifting at sea, if you will.  I say this because I have stumbled across axioms that I simply cannot retreat from. In fact, given any evidence to the contrary of such things, I will not retreat from.  However, this got me thinking about the opposite side to my socio-political discussion. It leaves me to wonder, do they also have the same self evident/axiomatic reasons as I? Do they drift aimlessly between whatever their misguided version of what they consider "fair" or "just" is? Do they have a different chemical in their brain? Or, is it something else?

The question of why people think the things they do is utmost important in understanding why they do the things they do. However, this question is not easily solved. As it happened, I was not the only one thinking in line with these questions. In my endless stumbling I found a piece by Ralph Adams Cram, through Nock's, "Memoirs of a Superfluous Man", that sparked another possibility in why people think the way they do.  The piece, titled "Why We Do Not Behave Like Humans" suggests, bluntly, that we hold the human race in too high regard. In short, when we visualize "man" or "humans" we conjure images of the best of what the human race had to offer and not what humans, for the most part, have been since the Neolithic age of approximately 10,000 years ago.  Furthermore, Cram puts forth that while humans have experienced great advancements since the introduction of coal, iron, and plow, we have evolved very little, if at all, physically and mentally since our Neolithic ancestors. Once one has this bit of information in hand, the necessity to answer the question becomes less relevant.  The question may be answered by simply coming to terms with the possibility that you are debating with the Neolithic man and not what you perceive as a Shakespeare, a Henry Ford, or a Gandhi. Food for thought.

1 comment:

  1. Some say that the current unrest in society is happening mostly because we are approaching an evolutionary milestone (so to speak). As far as the first part of your blog though i have thought alot about this and thus far the conclusion that ive come to is... God is a human concept. There are two ways in which to approach "godliness" for people. One way is to believe that the idea of God is rooted in control and keeping things seperate and orderly is the name of the game. The other way is to believe that the idea of good is rooted in understanding, for now i will call this flowing with the go. The flow is what you maintain certain levels of influence and decisions over and the go is the spacetime that you have poked your little head into for this brief period of time.Basically this belief goes hand in hand with believing the (most obvious in my opinion) idea that we are all different functions of the same machine and that our consciousness is simply the culminatinon of certain elements of our universe experiencing itself. i tend to believe they strive for the godliness of control. -Hope this makes sense

    ReplyDelete